top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I pay?
    You can pay us by Bank transfer or Wise (our favourite method). Please note bank transfer payments will incur bank fees.
  • How far in advance should I book?
    If you are planning on visiting New Zealand during the summer months (November- February), especially during the Christmas and Easter periods, you should book your camper at least half a year in advance.
  • What is the minimum hire?
    The minimum hire is 35 days
  • I have never driven a campervan before. What do I need to know?
    Our campervans are easy to drive and have high performing turbo diesel engines. All campervans have automatic transmission and added features of a modern European vehicle including ABS and airbags. You are only required to hold a standard drivers license. You do need to be aware of the height and wider than normal car-body!
  • What is the minimum age of the driver
    The minimum hire age is 25 years
  • How to book?
    If you are happy with our quote and would like to book the vehicle, we will bindingly reserve the camper. We will request the payment of a deposit (non-refundable) equal to 15% of the cost for the whole journey. The final payment is due 40 days prior to arrival. With your booking you agree on our Terms and Conditions.
  • Will a bond be deducted?
    No, we will take an imprint only of the excess.
  • Do you have (AA) roadside assistance should I have a breakdown or accident?
    We have registered all our Motorhomes with the Automobile Association (AA) for 24 hour roadside assistance. This gives you peace of mind in the odd case you have a breakdown. All mechanical breakdowns are covered under the AA relevant Roadside Assistance program, and include the following: Engine faults, Electrical faults, Cooling system, Vehicle recovery. Non-Mechanical 'breakdowns' are subject to the relevant call out fees 65-170NZ$) charged by the AA.
  • How long will the house battery last?
    The vehicle has a powerful house battery, with which you can self-sufficiently supply the interior of the camper for several days with 12V electricity.
  • Do I need to bring a 230V power plug adapter?
    Yes, you need a 230V New Zealand/Australia adapter.
  • Are there any roads we are not allowed to travel on?
    You are allowed on all named roads and DOC (Department of Conservation) campsite access roads. However, we recommend avoiding unsealed roads if possible. If you need to drive on them, remember they can be very narrow. Reduce your speed and slow down even further when approaching oncoming traffic as dust could obscure your vision and loose stones could chip your windscreen. You are not allowed to travel on a beach, through a river or salt water, or on a road that is in such poor condition that it damages the vehicle including: Fire trails, beaches, sand, tracks, fields or paddocks, Ninety Mile Beach (Northland), Ball Hutt Road (Mt Cook), Skippers Road (Queenstown), all roads north of von Colville (Coromandel Peninsula).
  • Can I smoke in your vehicle?
    No, smoking is prohibited in all our vehicles. If you do not comply, you will be fined 500NZ$.
  • How much is the Diesel Road User charge?
    The Road User Charge Recovery Fee is based on actual kilometers traveled in your campervan, so you only pay for what you use. 100km costs 8.00NZ$. If you go for the optional Value Pack, your Road User Charge Recovery Fee is included.
  • How and where do I dump my toilet and waste water?
    Please always be responsible when it comes to emptying toilet waste and grey water from your motorhome. You will find designated dump stations free of charge all over the country.
  • How big is the storage in the van and what type of luggage is best to travel with?
    Our vehicles have an extremely large storage space. Conventional luggage such as hardside luggage, soft bags, backpacks etc. can be stowed away without any problems.
  • Do I need a special licence to drive a VANTASTIC vehicle?
    No. When picking up the vehicle a complete (not provisional) and valid driving licence must be presented. If this driving licence is not in English, an international driving licence or a valid, certified translation is required.
  • Is it safe to drink the water everywhere in New Zealand?
    Tap water is safe to drink in most areas. Look out for signs saying that the tap water is not suitable for drinking. Boil, filter or chemically treat water from lakes or rivers before drinking to protect yourself.
  • Are there sandflies in NZ?
    Unfortunately, YES! Particularly in wet areas. Our vehicles are fitted with flyscreens on all opening windows, and we highly recommend the purchase of insect repellent.
  • What are the supermarket opening hours?
    Supermarket opening hours vary but most are open 7 days a week from 7am until 9pm. You can buy groceries on most public holidays, except Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day and New Year.
  • How much time does travel takes in New Zealand?
    Travel times and distances in New Zealand are often misjudged. Use on average 60 kilometres per hour to calculate how long your trip will take you. To get an idea about travel times, we advise to use the AA travel time calculator. Don't be surprised to find the same distance taking you twice as long in remote areas!
  • What is the cost of fuel?
    All our VANATASTIC vehicles are particularly fuel efficient using between 9 - 10 litres/100km. They all run on Diesel which is cheaper than Petrol in New Zealand.
  • What are the visa/entry requirements for New Zealand?
    In addition to a passport valid for 3 months, tourists must be in possession of the NZeTA electronic entry visa from 01 October 2019 for entry into New Zealand. Some may already know this permit from Australia, Canada or the USA. The fee-based application can be made via an app on the mobile phone (9NZ$) or online (12NZ$). The once issued entry permit is valid for any number of entries for a period of up to 90 days of a period of 2 years. The immigration authorities recommend that you apply at least 72 hours prior to departure. Here you can find the online form of the New Zealand Immigration Authority to apply for the NZeTA. When applying for the NZeTA, a tourist tax (IVL) of currently NZ$35 is additionally charged. Tourism in New Zealand has been booming for several years and the number of visitors is increasing every year. To cope with this rush of New Zealand fans, the government has decided to introduce a tourist tax (Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy). The money is to be invested half in the country's infrastructure and half in nature conservation.
bottom of page